Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Summer Lovin' at the P.O.W. House


In the early 1990's, the P.O.W. House was filled with BMX riders, ugly couches saved from curbs, random bikes being worked on, and some of the nastiest brown carpet anywhere.  On any given night, grungy BMX guys like Dave Clymer, Alan Foster, Chris Moeller, Todd Lyons, Lawan Cunningham, Bill Grad, Chris Sales, Jai Lonegran, Eric Millman,John Salami, Bill Naggy, myself and several others would be sitting around the living room figuring out what cheap thing we could do that night.  Even the guys who didn't live in the House at the time, like Keith Treanor and others, would swing by and join the group heading to a club or wherever.  If music was playing, it was usually punk or early Hip Hop. 

But we were all kids from the 70's and teens of the 80's.  One of the most amazing things I saw at the House was one night when we were deciding what to do.  I think Sales had the remote, and was flipping channels.  He happened across the start of the movie Grease, which was etched into our brains as 80's teens, whether we liked it or not.  One of the guys in the House started singing along.  Then another, then another.  Within 30 seconds, every one of the guys in the living room was not only singing along with this song, but dancing and acting it out, myself included.  It just happened.  We sang the the guy parts and the girl parts.  It was literally like a scene from the TV show Fame or something.  We all were part of the musical for three minutes.

Then the song ended, Sales flipped the channel, and everyone went on as if nothing had happened.  I just sat there laughing to myself at the weird moment.  Even punkers love Grease a little, I guess.

As of the summer of 2023, I'm going in a new direction with my writing.  Check out my new stuff on my Substack.

No comments:

Post a Comment