Thursday, March 16, 2017

People who changed freestyle that you forgot about: Jeff Carroll

When most of us older guys think back to the King of the Skateparks era in the early 1980's, Eddie Fiola, Brian Blyther, Mike Dominguez come to mind first, along with Hugo Gonzales, Rich Sigur, Tony Murray and maybe a couple others.  All those guys were pushing the progression of riding vert and pools.  The airs were getting higher, the tricks were getting gnarlier, and Hugo was hucking ridiculous things.

But one of the fundamental tricks of BMX vert, dirt jumping, and park riding came from a lesser known, but still rad rider, Jeff Carroll.  Like Jeremy Alder and Jose Yanez in the last two posts, Jeff showed the riding world that a trick thought impossible was actually possible.  Jeff gave us the no-hander.  It wasn't an eight foot air, his arms weren't stretched like later riders would do, but in the photo above at what I think is the last skatepark comp of that era, in 1985, Jeff showed the BMX world that you could take both hands off the bars in the air, put them back on, and survive.  With that one trick, he changed BMX riding.

 Here are some of the other guys who later built on that idea:

Joe Johnson- 1988-Stretched no hander about nine feet out, 1:48 in this clip, AFA Masters contest.
Chris Moeller-1991- no hander over Death Jump at Mission Trails (San Diego), 1:57 in this clip.  That's Ron Wilkerson himself yelling "Yeah," in the background.
Mat Hoffman-1991- no handed 540 and huge no handed air 1:57 in this video, Eddie Roman's Headfirst, the most influential video in BMX history.
Mat Hoffman- 2002- No handed 900 in the X-games.
Shaun Butler- 1996- Stretch no handed barspin over doubles, 1:40 in this video.
Cory Nastazio- 2000- Pinch seat no hander, :10 in this video.
Dave Mirra- 2006- No handed 720 and no handed 360 flip, 1:02 and 1:39 in this clip.
Ryan Nyquist- 2005- No hand 360 over a spine (:41), and other no hand variations at :51, 1:18, 1:34, and 1:56 in this clip.
Travis Patrana- 2005- motocross candy bar backflip to no hander lander.

3 comments:

  1. Jeff was stretching them, even clapping and going behind his back. The shot you show is in his run. Pressure got to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I never saw him do them, just had this pic to go by. As I recall, you told me he was doing barspins on the doubles of the Pipeline track, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve it's slim Brian alva remember I use to go with Mike serial to pipe line and then I last saw you when you boughtikes truck.i also would ride with Dante and Brad warrden you should do a shot on him he was before Dave Volker doing Acura shows he was the one to me showed that it is possible to progress to get full sponsor he was sketchy rider but that was the part he would go for it.i remember riding with Jeff carr ol and fredbecker.i saw Jeff do every no hander u just talked about and his famous exit over the pipes bowl.and the local re tread Dean rip.i want to ask if you could track down the super socio contest video at Olympic veldrom I belief 1987 she Mike Dominguez won and surreal was carried of by fellow bikers at the end of contest.well I was in 15 novice and I went against Mike golden we'll I stated my vert run with some night I highest I ever went and 15 seconds into run my bars went forward and I was trying to pull then back then they counted my run for 15 second every body was saying re run re run .so I got 3rd place converse shoe bronzed .so I want to see my run if possible I know ESPN filmed it

    ReplyDelete