Tuesday, November 2, 2021

My BMX memes #1


That top drawing, and the upside down bail below, are ones I drew in my #sharpiescribblestyle, back in 2016, I think.  The one handled tabletop is Jason Davies, and he did actually give my a thumbs up to draw that photo of him, quite a while before he passed away, in May of this year.  Ride In Peace, Jason. It's a bit cut off, the quote reads, "Bike: a four letter word, that when used properly, relieves the stress that leads to the use of other four letter words."
 
 In 2019, shortly after returning to California, I was working to promote a BMX website that didn't work out.  During that time, I started digging through thousands of public domain, vintage photos online, looking for bike related pics.  I found quite a few, including several that no one had seen before, at least in modern, BMX times.  So I started making memes of them.  "You complete me," above, is one of the many.  Most of the vintage photos in these memes date from the 1890's to the 1920's. 
When I lived in the P.O.W. House back in 1992-1993, we had a motto about life that we called "The 3 B's."  That stood for "Beer, Bikes, and Bitches."  Typical 20-something guys' priorities.  It later got extended to "The 5 B's, 'Bikes, Boards, Beer, Bongs, and Bitches.'"  Obviously, from the photo above, the bikes and babes theme goes way back, long before our day.
1980's freestyle legend Craig Grasso was lost to the Dark Side for quite a while, and none of us had heard from him in years at one point.  I made this meme back then.  He has since reappeared on the scene, and is living and doing art in Las Vegas these days. 
The is the first meme I made, trying to figure out how to work PicMonkey, back in 2019, I think.  I nabbed the photo of RonWilkerson blasting on the Woodward West Mega ramp. 
Did you have a grandpa that used to say things like, "Back when I was a kid we ate road kill 'possum for Sunday dinner, and we were THANKFUL.!"  Well, I did.  OK, not the road kill 'possum part, but he did actually tell me he walked 4 miles to school barefoot once or twice.  And that I wasn't thankful for anything.  That grandpa idea was in my head when I drew this one.  The photo is one of Dennis McCoy's worst bail photos, which I borrowed.

 I have a new blog about BMX, skate, art, and other cool spots, check it out:

The Spot Finder     #thespotfinder

No comments:

Post a Comment