Tuesday, November 2, 2021

BMX memes #2

This kind of bike is something I've seen being used on TV/movie studio lots a lot.  Tech guys will throw a small light, props, tools, or other equipment, in the big, sturdy basket, and deliver it to one of the sound stages.  Obviously, there are other uses for the big baskets, as well.  

I actually did this a few times while working on the set of American Gladiators in the early 1990's.  I had my BMX bike (an S&M Dirtbike at the time), that I rode to work a couple of years, and a beach cruiser one other year.  Once in a while, one of the women on set would ask to hop on my handlebars to ride over to the lunch stage, which always seemed to be all the way across the lot.  I remember giving Ice, the Gladiator a ride once or twice, and a few other women, as well. 

The bike shop in this photos is Orville and Wilbur Wright's shop in Dayton, Ohio, around 1900-1910.  I made this meme because so many people see BMXers (or skaters, snowboarders, etc.), as loser "adrenaline junkies," too lazy to work, or not very smart.  I just wanted to remind people never to underestimate a couple of bike riders.  The Wright's not only tuned bikes, they invented aviation.  For real.
This seems like a whole lot of set up for a not-so-exciting circus act, but it's also probably in the 1900's-1920's, when no one had seen anything like this.  And after watching the highlights of the Florideah Swampfest, which happened last weekend, building crazy ass shit and then trying to ride it isn't all that different today.  It's probably just about as dangerous, too.
The whole "43" thing in BMX started as an inside joke, with the Curb Dogs in San Francisco, in 1986.  Like the "420" story in pot culture, it slowly radiated out, and now 43 is kind of like the "lucky number" for all of BMX.  This is unit 43 at my old storage unit complex.  I just lost my unit, I couldn't keep the payments up, and it was #143.  Really. 
I wasn't sure what kind of caption to put on this freakin' crazy photo.  This is what popped in my head.  What I keep wondering is if this guy killed a leopard while out in the bush on a bike, what the hell is hiding in that tall grass behind him? 
I wrote my "Become" poem in about 1992... during the P.O.W. House days.  This one I drew on picture of northwest rider Monte Hill tweaking a turndown. 
Todd Lyons, a one time roommate of mine, and now the media savy brand manager for SE Bikes, is always getting kids giving him shit because the SE cruisers sell out of bike shops too fast.  I had TL in mind when I made this one recently.  

 I have a new blog about BMX, skate, art, and other cool spots, check it out:

The Spot Finder      #thespotfinder
 

No comments:

Post a Comment