Monday, January 30, 2017

Over under wall ride in 1990


Ever go through old photos or magazines and find something you totally forgot about?  This is one of those.  Since I started working on the DIY book based on this blog, I finally got around to capturing some stills from the BMX footage of mine that has survived thanks to the internet.  This is a still of Randy Lawrence doing a wall ride over me doing a wall bounce at the Blues Brothers Wall in Huntington Beach, CA.

This is one of many walls north of the HB pier, and this one happened to have both a lip to hit it on the far left side, and the least sand in front of it, which made it possible to hit it.  The wall is also a bit under-vert.  I never measured it, but it's about 80 or 85 degrees, which is just enough to make it easy to go much higher than a true vert wall.  But only Randy, and later Dave Clymer, could get near the top of it.  I honestly forgot just how high Randy Lawrence was going until I stilled this on the video.  Even better, I'm pretty sure this is the first over/under wall ride ever documented.  When I googled that last night, looking for other double wall rides, I couldn't find any.  There was one photo of two guys on a banked wall, maybe 60 degrees steep, but that was it.

When I made that video in 1990, the rider-made video movement wasn't even a movement yet.  Eddie Roman had made a student film, Aggro Riding and Kung Fu Fighting and Aggroman.  I had produced six AFA contest videos in 1987 and edited the 1988 2-Hip season video, now on You Tube as 2-Hip BHIP.  I think Mark Eaton made the first Dorkin' in York, edited on VHS working with 2 VCR's wired together.  Videos made by riders were still a brand new thing, and we were making it up as we went.  All of these videos had a lot of things never seen by riders before in videos.  Not only were we documenting progression in riding itself, but we were documenting the growth and progression of street riding, the changes in ramps, and progressing in video producing itself.  We were literally just making this shit up as we went along, just like we'd done with zines a few years before.

 There were several firsts in The Ultimate Weekend, but the double wall ride is one I totally forgot about.  I'm pretty stoked on that.  If anyone else has pics of a double wall ride back in the day, show me on Facebook.  There must be some other ones out there somewhere.

My main blog these days is about building creative scenes, check it out:
The White Bear's Making a Scene

No comments:

Post a Comment