Wednesday, December 28, 2016

My Footage of Mat Hoffman and the First BMX 900 in a Contest




I stumbled across this a couple of days ago and linked it on FB, so some of you have seen it.  I won't go into the details right now, I'll do that next post.  But this is footage I shot in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada (eh) in early 1989, as a cameraman for Unreel Productions, the Vision Street Wear video company.  It's the first 2-Hip King of Vert of the year and there was still snow outside, as I recall.  Mike Dominguez, who pioneered the 900 attempts, and pulled a couple on his own ramp, was retired.  As you can see in this clip, Brian Blyther and Dave Voelker both hucked 900 attempts in this contest.  But it was Mathew Hoffman, then 16 or 17, and still an amateur, who landed one.  It's at the very end of this clip.  As you can tell by the crowd reaction, the 900 was a huge deal then.  Twenty-seven years later, they're still a pretty big deal.  I have a lot of stories from this contest, which I'll go into in the next post.  For now, just enjoy the hilarious commentary by Eddie Roman and friends in the beginning, and the first 900 (in ANY action sport) at the end.

I have new blogs now, check them out:

The Big Freakin' Transition- The future and economics

Crazy California 43- Weird and historic locations in California

Full Circle- Writing and the writing life

and a fiction blog- 

Stench: Homeless Superhero

No comments:

Post a Comment